Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Great News!

It arrived on 11 November 2005. Prosper (my contact in Ghana) announced that Oxfam GB will engage me as an intern for a year (renewable). As mentioned before (see 'How Everything Started'), I will be Communication and Media Volunteer. I learnt on 4 November that they had taken a decision at the country level but had to wait for the approval by the Regional Programme Manager.

The email indicated the terms on which I will be engaged. I will receive a monthly allowance of 3,300,000 cedis, the equivalent of £200 (or 300 euros). That should allow me to live normally. I will have a single room self-contained accommodation within the official residence of the Country Programme Manager in Accra. An attached file 'job profile' explains the functions I will carry out. There are many responsibilities. I think the best way to know precisely the content and scale of my tasks is to find out on the spot.

What I can already talk about is the job's dimensions. The programme I will work for is called Trade and Right To Be Heard. It aims to provide a voice for marginalised to demand right policies and practices leading to a sustainable change in their lives. It includes advocacy, lobbying and campaign. No doubt that the programme is ambitious and I prefer to go there with no prejudice but an open mind. Because you can not expect only one specific aspect from such an experience but many things, very positive ones and negative ones obviously...

To find out more about Oxfam's work in Ghana, you can visit Oxfam's website ww.oxfam.org.uk and choose Ghana in 'Where we work'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home