Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Google Searches

Sans le vouloir, mon nom est à présent associé au programme Oxfam GB au Ghana (je vais sans doute augmenter les probabilités par ce message).

I just met two ladies, one working for Oxfam Intermon, the other for Oxfam Novib, who arrived in Accra for a workshop held Friday and Saturday on EPAs (Economic Partnership Agreements). The later, after I introduced myself, told that she saw my 'website' by searching 'OGB Ghana'. We laughed.

I checked: my blog appears first in the results out of 635; when typing 'Oxfam Great Britain Ghana', it comes fourth out of 148,000.

Am I getting famous? I find two obvious reasons for the situation:
1. There is no official website Oxfam Ghana to compete with my blog;
2. Google is linked to Blogspot, thus promoting everyone's blog.

The immediate consequence for me is that I will have to improve on the content and form of my blog, assuming that anybody can easily consult it. I already tried my best to share my experience with relatives, friends and the average people. This discovery means that recruiters could also make their judgement. I knew a blog would be a useful tool for advertisement!!!

3 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are damn right about that - I mean giving more punch to your blog. Very very unimportant people like me read it, well not religiously , but now and then, to relive our lives in Ghana and follow your escapades. So shape up, my friend, for the world is reading you.
Kwasi Appiah
Chicago

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Fame comes in the strangest of ways....get a visit counter on the site...it's interesting to see...

Keep writing...

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

I think that you arae doing a good job, Elodie. Il faut, jusque, rue tu fais le mise a jour regulierement. But apart from that, keep on keeping on:-)

It's ironic, though, that your blog would be competing with a non-existent OXFAM Ghana Blog, when OXFAM seeks, among many many other things, to analyse how competition adversely affects developing countries!:-))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home