Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Cinema in Ghana

From what I experienced, cinemas have become a rare thing in Ghana. I tried to find out why. The main reason seems to be that households possess the equipment to watch films at home such as the DVD player. Nigerian films are very popular in Ghana. It is difficult not to notice them, although I read recently in the newspaper about outbreak in the Ghana film industry.

Myself I have enjoyed watching DVDs at a friend’s. I was pleasantly surprised by ‘the beach’. I imagined it would be about three guys staying on a deserted island where things would start going bad between them. Not only… The plot made me think that, within the dream of living self-sufficiently in a community isolated from modernity, it is likely that problems arise between residents and that a good leader would easily turn into dictator.

I viewed another film, perhaps less known: ‘50 First Dates’ with Drew Barrymore and a funny guy who played in ‘Big Daddy’ (that I haven’t seen), Adam Sandler. I was far from disappointed, especially as I had convinced myself that it would be a flop. Well, this romantic comedy appeared to be captivating, combining humour and emotions around the folllowing (imaginary?) theme: after the girl was injured in a car accident, her short-term memory renews every 24 hours. This means that she forgets all that happened the very previous day. Hence the film title, ‘50 First Dates’, as the hero tries to seduce her everyday as if they were meeting for the first time. However, with determination, he will find a way to modify the situation. Imagine how it would be if it felt as the first kiss every time…

'Religious Entertainment'

One colleague argued that church has replaced the cinema way of entertainment. Another said that religion has invaded the medias – radio, TV. I agree. From what I have seen, dressed-up people go to church at least once a week, spend usually more than two hours, singing and dancing as if they were in a party. They are ready to give a big amount of money – I attended once and the pastor asked for ten percent of their income (dîme des chrétiens). I believe some think they will find their future partner for life there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home