Friday, February 10, 2006

Tamale

To begin with, I have indicated under the heading 'Links' the blog of another Belgian girl who went to India for a study exchange. It is a very nice and useful web about travelling to that part of the world as well as her personal experience.

I have been spending a second week in Tamale (the name comes from 'tama' for the shea butter trees). I find it a very peaceful - maybe too quiet for me - city. I'd like to come back, especially in order to visit the northern regions. Among anecdotes, I went to buy tomatoes at the market, I picked the ones I wanted and didn't realise that the trader had grouped the fruits. She and her fellow smiled at me, understanding that I was not used to it!

I am due to return to Accra on Sunday. Before then, I am planning to go to Mole National Park, "the country's premier park for game viewing and perhaps the most important single attraction in the Northern Region" (Guide to Northern Region in Ghana). This park is said to be home to almost 90 animal species ("elephants, buffalo, roan, kob, hartebeest, waterbucks, bush pigs. Lions, leopard and hyenas also occur") and over 300 bird species. It is recommended to visit the park during the dry season - when the grass is short - to best admire them.


Work started this week as my supervisor came back from Dakar and stayed in Tamale. I could also meet with the Country Programme Manager. In March, we are expecting to welcome celebrities in Accra. I particularly look forward to meeting one of them whose name will remain secret for now. Two clues however: Ireland and Human Rights...

1 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

et bien cette petite révision d'anglais forcée ne nous fera pas de tort de temps en temps...mais je crois que je comprendrais encore mieux tes récits en francais sans accent!!!
au fait, fête-t-on la st V. chez toi??
bisous,sophie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home